Mercedes-Benz Intelligent Drive
Every drive in a Mercedes-Benz is an “Intelligent Drive.”
Engineers designed Mercedes-Benz technology to be ever vigilant and protective for a myriad of driving situations. Let’s take a look at how some of these standard and optional systems can assist and protect the driver and passengers during a daily commute or a long journey. Collectively this technology is part of the Mercedes-Benz Intelligent Drive System.
- DISTRONIC PLUS® with Steering Assist. Steering Assist uses the stereo multipurpose camera and electromechanical power steering to help the driver keep the vehicle centered in the lane while driving at certain speeds. It provides improved comfort and peace of mind for the driver.
- Active Blind Spot Assist. Active Blind Spot Assist identifies vehicles in the area to the side of the vehicle that is often hard to see. The active version can pulse the brakes on the opposite side of the Mercedes-Benz, moving it laterally, potentially avoiding a collision. This may help the driver avoid an accident and reduce the stress of changing lanes in traffic.
- Adaptive Highbeam Assist. Once again, Mercedes-Benz adds its innovative touch to a commonly used feature: headlamps. Adaptive Highbeam Assist adjusts the range of low beams and activates high beams automatically by monitoring headlights and taillights of the vehicles ahead. The driver benefits with maximum light coverage for the situation — all without having to lift a finger to turn on or off the highbeams. It’s convenience at its best.
- Active Lane Keeping Assist. Not every lane has raised lane markers to warn drivers if they drift over the line. Active Lane Keeping Assist does just that by vibrating the steering wheel to warn the driver. In the newest generation, the system can pull the vehicle back into the lane and detect oncoming and overtaking vehicles.
- LED Headlamps. These state-of-the-art headlamps use the latest in lighting technology, improving the clarity of light on the road. The lamps will last longer before needing replacing compared to conventional headlamps. It’s a win-win.
- ESP®/ABS/BAS®. Mountain roads are one place these core safety features help a great deal. However, they operate on any road to help the driver maintain driving stability (ESP®), maintain steering during emergency braking (ABS), and apply the maximum amount of brake pressure for optimum stopping (BAS®).
- COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST PLUS. All it takes is a fraction of a second to get caught off-guard while driving. At speeds above 5 mph, this system’s radar-based technology alerts the driver if they’re approaching a vehicle ahead at a speed and distance that suggest a collision is likely. It can also detect stationary objects when driving at speeds up to 45 mph. Its Adaptive Brake Assist feature automatically provides the ideal level of increased braking as soon as the driver steps on the brake pedal.
- PRESAFE®. PRESAFE® is a predictive occupant protection system that helps prepare for an accident in the critical moments before it occurs. It adjusts certain features in the vehicle to help provide maximum protection for the occupants. It may potentially improve the safety of the occupants in certain impacts and rollover situations.
- 4MATIC®. When it rains or snows and the roads get slick, 4MATIC® all-wheel drive is there to add additional control and traction, while improving peace of mind.
- PRESAFE® Brake with Pedestrian Recognition. PRESAFE® Brake can assist the driver with a warning, followed by autonomous partial or full braking to help avoid an impact or reduce the impact energy. The latest version of the system can detect slow-moving or standing pedestrians and bicyclists.
- Night View Assist® PLUS with Pedestrian Detection*. Driving at night with poor or no street illumination and oncoming vehicles can make for stressful driving. However, this advanced system uses infrared beams for better detail, and thermal imaging to detect warm objects — animals, pedestrians, and certain objects — nearly 500 feet ahead in near-total darkness. And, if the system detects a pedestrian, the high beam can automatically illuminate the person. It’s like having a high-tech pair of eyes at night.
- ECO-START®/STOP. What’s not to like about a feature that can reduce fuel consumption and emissions while stopped. If every vehicle had this green feature, imagine what the air quality in major metro areas would be like.
- PRESAFE® PLUS Rear-Collision Protection. When a Mercedes-Benz equipped with this optional feature stops, it can monitor oncoming vehicles from the rear, looking for potential rear-end collisions. Depending on the situation, PRESAFE® may spring into action to protect vehicle occupants.
- BAS® PLUS with Cross-Traffic Assist. With the driving environment becoming more congested and less room for pedestrians and bicyclists, the need for additional monitoring around the vehicle is greater than ever. This advanced technology can increase the driver’s applied braking force when necessary to help reduce the chance of a collision. In addition, the system works with the stereo multipurpose camera to detect cross-traffic, including pedestrians and bicyclists.
- PARKTRONIC with Active Parking Assist. Imagine if your Mercedes-Benz could park itself. Well, imagine no longer! The latest generation of this technology gets very close to that dream by controlling the steering wheel and the brake pedal. It can reduce the stress of parking and potentially eliminate minor nicks and scrapes to the bumpers.
- ATTENTION ASSIST®. Mercedes-Benz advances the system it introduced by providing different settings and more information to drivers who may be exhibiting signs associated with drowsiness. The ultimate goal: to reduce accidents associated with drowsy driving.
- Active Curve Illumination. No part of the driving experience goes untouched by Mercedes-Benz engineers, even the simple act of turning around corners at low speeds or pulling into a driveway at the end of the long journey. This feature provides additional illumination in areas such as neighborhoods by helping the driver see corners as clearly as possible.