Mercedes-Benz Intelligent Drive
Every drive in a Mercedes-Benz is an “Intelligent Drive.”
Mercedes-Benz believes an automobile should do all that is feasible to help make driving trouble free, enjoyable and safe. Numerous advanced technologies are employed in pursuit of that goal, and the sum total of these systems is called Intelligent Drive. Using a network of sophisticated devices, including ultrasonic sensors, multi-range radar, and advanced stereo multipurpose camera and more, Mercedes-Benz Intelligent Drive can help the driver detect a range of potential hazards and react as the situation demands. Although Intelligent Drive can actively assist the driver when conditions dictate, it does not allow the driver to remove his or her hands from the wheel for an extended period of time. It is the driver’s responsibility to operate the vehicle safely at all times, along with obeying all applicable laws.
The following descriptions outline current Intelligent Drive technologies. Some systems may be offered as standard equipment on one vehicle and optional on another. Systems may differ slightly from model to model, and not all are available on every vehicle. Consult your sales consultant at RBM of Atlanta to determine the specific features of each model and for more detailed information. It is the driver’s responsibility to operate the vehicle safely at all times, along with obeying all applicable laws.
- Rearview Camera. The rearview camera switches on when the reverse gear is selected, and the area to the rear of the vehicle is shown on the center multimedia display. On some models, dynamic guidelines help the driver assess the area available for backing up and some obstacles may be highlighted. Some models allow the driver the option to select a wide view that shows a more expansive area.
- Active Parking Assist. Active Parking Assist, known on some older models as Parking Pilot, helps the driver when parking the vehicle in either a parallel or perpendicular space by helping the driver control steering and also helping him or her control gear selection, gas and braking. This advanced system utilizes radar sensors to assist with locating a parking space that will fit the vehicle and ultrasonic sensors to help avoid surrounding obstacles. It is the driver’s responsibility to monitor traffic in the street when leaving a parking space.
- Surround View System. The Surround View System displays a simulated birds-eye view to show all four sides of the vehicle, along with nearby surroundings. This provides the driver with a view of what is around the vehicle, including curbs and other vehicles, which helps make parking safer and easier. Additional views to the front, side and rear of the vehicle can be chosen in various preset zoom scales, including a wide 180 ° view of the front and side for better assessment of surroundings.
- PARKTRONIC®. PARKTRONIC® technology uses many ultrasonic sensors in the bumpers to help the driver park by providing an audible warning should the vehicle believe it is getting too close to obstacles or other vehicles.
- Evasive Steering Assist. Should the sensor and camera systems detect a pedestrian in the vehicle’s path, Evasive Steering Assist can help the driver execute a controlled evasion maneuver. It accomplishes this by calculating the precise amount of steering input needed and then actively assisting the driver. It also helps straighten out the vehicle so the driver can smoothly steer back to the original direction of travel. The evasive maneuver must be initiated by the driver before the system will begin to assist in order to avoid surprising the driver and causing an incorrect reaction. Additionally, the driver is always able to override the system..
- Active Brake Assist/ Active Brake Assist with Cross-Traffic Function. Active Brake Assist can audibly and visually warn the driver of a situation that could result in a collision and can help the driver apply a select amount of braking force if he or she applies the brakes with inadequate force or fails to respond. On some models, Active Brake Assist is the new name for COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST PLUS. The more advanced Active Brake Assist with Cross-Traffic Function is additionally able to respond to crossing traffic and provides more assistance to the driver in applying the brakes. The system can also detect standing pedestrians within the vehicle’s path and can help the driver bring the vehicle to a stop, possibly avoiding potential impacts or, at higher speeds, possibly reducing impact severity. The system replaces BAS® PLUS with Cross-Traffic Assist and PRESAFE® Brake with Pedestrian Recognition..
- COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST PLUS. All it takes is a fraction of a second to get caught off-guard while driving. At speeds above 5 mph, this system’s radar-based technology alerts the driver if they’re approaching a vehicle ahead at a speed and distance that suggest a collision is likely. It can also detect stationary objects when driving at speeds up to 45 mph. Its Adaptive Brake Assist feature automatically provides the ideal level of increased braking as soon as the driver steps on the brake pedal.
- PRESAFE® Impulse Side®. Using dedicated radar sensors in the side panels of the vehicle, this technology can detect an imminent side impact and move the front occupant on that side away from the danger zone and toward the center of the vehicle. It achieves this by means of separate air chambers that can be rapidly inflated in the side bolsters of the front seats.
- PRESAFE® Sound. When PRESAFE® Sound senses that an impact is imminent, the audio system can generate harmless “pink noise.” The frequency is tuned to induce a natural reflex within the ear canal that helps reduce the effects of loud, harmful noises caused by collisions.
- Night View Assist® PLUS. Night View Assist® PLUS can recognize pedestrians or large animals in the roadway by means of an infrared camera as well as a thermal imaging camera and can alert the driver to their presence using the multi-functional display in the instrument cluster.
- Active LED Headlamps / LED Intelligent Light System. Active LED Headlamps are able to expertly adjust to the curve of a road for increased visibility. Adaptive Highbeam Assist can adjust headlamp range automatically depending on driving conditions and traffic. It is able to do this by utilizing high beams on dark roads and deactivating them when oncoming traffic is detected, so other drivers are not dazzled, yet the illumination is optimized for the environment. Advanced technology of the LED Intelligent Light System provides drivers with adaptive illumination for ideal roadway visibility. With integrated LED daytime running lamps, LED low-beam lamps, and activated cornering lights, the LED Intelligent Light System is the most advanced, customizable lighting system offered by Mercedes-Benz.
- LED Headlamps. Mercedes-Benz LED Headlamps utilize advanced, long-lasting LED bulbs for a bright beam that more closely matches the spectrum of natural daylight. The many benefits of LEDs are innovatively combined with the latest in control technology.
- Active Speed Limit Assist. This advanced system can help the driver set and regulate vehicle speed in respect to posted speed limits. Active Speed Limit Assist can help adjust vehicle speed as the speed limits change during the route when the driver is also utilizing the adaptive cruise control. The system is able to read most speed limit signs and then compares that information to data from the navigation system. A similar system, called Speed Limit Assist, can only notify the driver of speed limits, using data from the navigation system. Speed Limit Assist does not regulate vehicle speed but simply displays the posted speed limit for easy reference by the driver..
- Active Distance Assist DISTRONIC®. Utilizing radar, the stereo multipurpose camera, and other sensors, this system can help the driver maintain a selected distance between the driver’s vehicle and the vehicle in front. This system may have been known as DISTRONIC PLUS® or Distance Pilot DISTRONIC on a few older models..
- Active Steering Assist. This system can help the driver keep the vehicle centered in its lane by using the stereo multipurpose camera to detect roadway lane markers and radar sensors to monitor the vehicles in front and immediately surrounding the vehicle. Active Steering Assist, known on some older models as Steering Pilot, will visually and audibly warn the driver if his or her hands are off the steering wheel for an extended period of time. Active Steering Assist helps provide steering torque in gentle curves and on straightaways to help the driver maintain and correct the vehicle’s course.
- Active Emergency Stop Assist. This system can safely decelerate the vehicle to a complete stop if it continuously detects that the driver is not in control of the vehicle. This feature is meant to intervene if the driver suffers some type of immobilizing medical emergency..
- Route-Based Speed Adaptation. When activated, this system uses the camera, radar sensors, and map data to anticipate upcoming curves, intersections, and roundabouts, then adjusts speed and brakes when adaptive cruise control is engaged.
- Active Lane Change Assist. When the driver signals a lane change on a multi-lane highway for at least two seconds, Active Lane Change Assist will help the driver steer the vehicle into the adjacent lane. The system can only be enabled within certain speed limits and under certain conditions, varying across model lines. The driver is always able to override the system..
- Crosswind Assist. This technology makes driving in severe crosswinds easier by using sensors to detect lateral movement of the vehicle, a condition that can be caused by strong gusts of wind. Should the vehicle be pushed off-track, Crosswind Assist can help the driver correct its course with one-side braking, regulated by the ESP® system. The technology can assist the driver in keeping the vehicle from being pushed out of the driver’s intended path.
- Blind Spot Assist/ Active Blind Spot Assist. Blind Spot Assist uses radar to monitor areas that the driver cannot fully see in the mirrors, displaying an icon in the appropriate side mirror if it detects an object. The icon can flash and sound an audible warning should the driver indicate a lane change into the path of a vehicle that is detected. Not only can Active Blind Spot Assist warn the driver of a potential lateral collision, but the system can also help correct the vehicle’s path by means of a gentle one-sided brake application if necessary.
- ATTENTION ASSIST®. An alert driver is a safe driver, and ATTENTION ASSIST® is designed to help the driver take action if he or she loses focus. The system creates a driver profile and tracks over 70 variables, including time of day, elapsed driving time, and steering movement, to help determine when a driver is becoming tired or inattentive. When that threshold is reached, the system recommends a rest by means of visual and audible warnings. The system requires approximately 20 minutes of constant driving to establish a behavior baseline, and the level of sensitivity can be preset in the system settings. Details on the driver’s current attention level and elapsed time since the last break can be displayed in the multi-functional display in the instrument cluster. The behavior baseline resets at the start of each drive..
- Lane Keeping Assist/ Active Lane Keeping Assist. Lane Keeping Assist generates a steering wheel vibration to warn the driver if it senses that the vehicle is drifting out of its lane and the lane departure is unintentional rather than driver initiated. Active Lane Keeping Assist takes this technology a step further by helping the driver take corrective action by means of selective, one-sided brake application if the vehicle begins to move out of its lane. The driver is always able to override the system.
- Car-to-X Communication. Car-to-X Communication of roadway information can alert the driver to potentially dangerous situations as early as possible. Information can be exchanged with other models in the surrounding area that are also equipped with Car-to-X Communication by use of cellular technology. Drivers are also able to use the system to send a general warning.
If you would like a copy of the Mercedes-Benz Intelligent Drive Systems PDF, please click/tap here.